Callie Modeling Her Best Swimsuit Season Shape!
Here’s a phrase that can inspire many a negative reaction: “SWIMSUIT SEASON.” Whether this makes you roll your eyes, feel anxious, or feel complete fear this is the time of year when you can’t hide from it. In Texas swimsuit season starts a bit earlier for us-I like to encourage clients to start thinking about it in January. Needless to say, now is the time to start! Although many people say they need to get in shape for swimsuit season it is my opinion that very few actually know what it takes to do that.
No matter what shape you’re currently in, here are some basic tips to help you feel your best when you take your t-shirt or cover up off this Summer:
- If you have weight you would like to lose, you can expect to SAFELY lose about 2lbs a week. So if you have 10lbs you want to lose before showing off your swimsuit you would need to start your workout program at least a month and a half before to give yourself ample time to lose it.
- Strength training is a must! Not only does lifting weights help hide cellulite but muscle also burns more calories at rest than fat, so you will be boosting your metabolism even after your workout is over for the day. Try to aim for 3-4 days a week of about 45min for the best results.
- Focus your strength training on your trouble areas. Think about what body parts you will be showing off in your swim wear and what you want to change the most-spend most of your workout on those areas but don’t forget the rest!
- Incorporate intervals into your cardio routine. They burn more calories in a shorter amount of time than moderate cardiovascular activity and really help with the weight that sticks to your middle. Aim for 3-4 sessions of cardio a week as well, 30-45 minutes.
- Make sure you are taking in healthy fats a couple times a day. Things like Avocado, peanut butter and extra virgin olive oil will help smooth things through your system to aid in flattening your belly.
- Watch your starchy carb intake. Limit yourself to a couple servings a day of foods like brown rice, whole grain bread and whole grain pasta. Remember, these foods give you energy to get through your workouts so don’t eliminate them completely!
- About two weeks before a big event you can de-bloat your tummy by adding more of these foods into your diet: CUCUMBER, LOW FAT YOGURT, LEMON, MINT, STRAWBERRIES, PINEAPPLE, ASPARAGUS.Don’t forget to drink more water! It helps flush everything through your system.
- You can also help de-bloat before your event by staying away from these foods for a couple weeks: BEANS, CRUCIFEROUS VEGGIES LIKE BROCCOLI AND CAULIFLOWER, ALCOHOL, TOO MANY STARCHY CARBS, CARBONATED DRINKS, SALT.
Glamour Magazine has this article with some great swimsuit buying and wearing tips for the ladies straight from a Victoria’s Secret swimsuit model that can actually help the guys too. So dudes, after you’ve pretended to NOT read this article, go over to Men’s Health and read their tips for having the best summer ever.
The biggest piece of advice I can give you is this: Be confident! Whatever you’re most self conscious about is most likely what others most admire about you. Stand tall, be proud of your fitness and freaking SMILE!